We will provide you with practical advice, complete essential tasks such as Tax Returns and discuss all your financial options throughout your life.
The breadth of our services range from income and inheritance tax to retirement, wills and trust and estate support services.Talk To Us
Humphrey & Co will help you to protect you and your family’s financial future
We have a wealth of experience in advising individuals coming to or leaving the UK on the management of their UK tax affairs.
Our highly qualified experts can provide a bespoke expatriate tax service, to include the following:
- Residence and domicile consultancy
- Tax planning, using domestic UK legislation and Double Tax Treaties
- Liaison with overseas tax advisers to achieve the best possible tax position
- Tax efficient repatriation of funds to the UK for Non-Domiciled individuals
- UK Expatriate Tax Returns
- US Federal Tax Returns
Humphrey & Co offers comprehensive estate planning services staffed by our team of members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and the Chartered Institute of Taxation. We can advise on:
- Assisting individuals concerned about the impact of capital taxation on their estates
- Advising on inheritance tax reliefs available both in lifetime and on death, to include potential ways to mitigate inheritance tax by way of your will
Our aim is to provide you with the support, advice and assistance you need. Not only to fulfil your obligations to file tax returns but to also minimise your tax liabilities.
Humphrey & Co provide personal tax planning and compliance services to a broad range of clients, from sole traders and partners, employees and directors, high net-worth individuals to non-UK taxpayers and individuals domiciled outside the UK.
Personal tax returns are becoming ever more complicated. We can reduce or eliminate your burden by providing:
- Annual meetings to discuss the Tax Return
- Computerised preparation of your Tax Return
- Calculation of your tax liability
- Secure electronic submission of the completed Tax Return to HM Revenue and Customs
- Calculation of future tax liabilities and advice on due dates of payment
- Advice on tax repayments
- Checks to agree HM Revenue and Customs demands and personal tax coding notices
We can also help you minimise Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax by careful planning of numerous issues, such as:
- Utilisation of lower and basic rate bands
- Use of ISA's
- Payment of pension contributions
- Investment in Venture Capital Trusts and Enterprise Investment Schemes
- Charitable donations
- Timing of capital disposals
HMRC could investigate your tax return at any time. We recommend to all our clients that they consider taking out our Tax Investigations Service. We can offer comprehensive cover with a cost-effective solution, making our services available to you with the advice and support you may need.
Probate & Estate Administration
Humphrey & Co have been assisting with the administration of estates for many years, acting either as the executors or helping lay executors
Following a major change in the law we have now been formally authorised as a licensed probate firm by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW). (Prior to this change only solicitors were able to carry out this work.) We can now provide our clients with a complete estate administration service.
We work with you and for you
Everything is undertaken through one firm – with the exception of conveyancing work.
We charge for our services to executors on the basis of the time that we spend at hourly rates that are highly competitive. We never make an additional charge on the basis of the value of your estate, which has no relation to the work done
We will do as much or as little as you wish us to do. We can:-
- Prepare the forms for Probate
- Apply for Probate
- Attend to tax affairs up to date of death
- Attend to tax affairs during the period of administration
- Establish the assets and liabilities of an estate
- Administer an estate in part or in whole
Retirement & Care Planning
Over £2 billion pounds is paid unnecessarily to the tax man and in care fees each year. Money is often not inherited by the people it was intended for due to the absence of a will or inheritance tax planning.
Tax Investigation Service
Over 80% of all tax investigations by HMRC now arise from leads generated by its £80million database system, Connect, according to recent reports.
Why is HMRC investigating?
The new reliance on automated systems to identify targets means taxpayers face increased risk of an investigation. Connect was first launched in 2010, to gather data and information from multiple sources, including banks, local councils, land registry and even social media.
Consequently, everyone is now at greater risk than ever of being investigated by HMRC, even if you think you have done nothing wrong. If it happens to you, the questions can be detailed and time consuming to answer. Whether or not HMRC finds extra tax to pay, the costs to defend you can be substantial. Indeed, it has been known for clients to agree to HMRC’s demands simply because of the costs involved in continuing to fight the case. For our subscribers, there is no cost whatsoever (subject to policy limits).
Protect yourself today!
Humphrey & Co has offered a Tax Investigations Service (TIS) to our clients for several years now, and we invite all our clients to share in the protection offered.
Tax investigations can be costly. Investing a small amount into our tax investigation service now means that you will receive complete support if HMRC targets you.
We will manage your case from start to finish, reducing stress and providing peace of mind.
Want to know more?
See also -Tax Investigation Service - Business
Trust & Estate Support
Individuals, lawyers and other professionals use Humphrey & Co for advice and assistance in connection with the administration, taxation and accounting for trusts and estates.
All our team are members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP). Jonathan Cooke, one of our Consultants, is a founder member of STEP and leading author in this area.
Wills & Lasting Powers of Attorney
Our Trust and Estate Support Services team has considerable experience and expertise in dealing with all aspects of the administration of estates and trusts, including wills and lasting powers of attorney.
We recommend, irrespective of age, that all our clients have a will and our experienced will-writing team, certified by STEP, can assist with this. A properly drafted will enables you to:
- decide who will inherit your estate, on what terms, who will be your executors and, if you have children, who will be their guardians
- determine the extent of any potential inheritance tax liability
Lasting powers of attorney
A lasting power of attorney or LPA is an essential document that everyone should have. It is the legal means by which you can delegate the management of your affairs to people you trust in the event that, for whatever reason, you become unable to manage them yourself, either on a temporary or permanent basis.
LPA's were introduced 1 October 2007 replacing Enduring Powers of Attorney. There are two types:
- Property and finance affairs enabling attorney(s) to make property and financial decisions on behalf of the donor e.g. operating a bank account, selling property
- Health and welfare enabling attorney(s) to make health and personal welfare decisions on behalf of the donor e.g. day to day care, medical treatment
More than just Accountants
Our clients benefit from our depth of experience and expertise with an established reputation in many fields
We are based in Eastbourne and in Brighton & Hove. However, a client’s location is never a problem as we travel to meet clients at their homes or businesses.Meet our Team