The Humphrey & Co team assist in many specialist areas
We will provide you with practical advice, complete essential tasks such as Tax Returns and discuss all your financial options throughout your life.
The breadth of our services range from income and inheritance tax to retirement, wills and trust and estate support services.Talk To Us
Barristers & The Legal Sector
Our legal sector team have a wealth of experience in providing specialist tax, accounting and business advisory services to a wide variety of law firms and individual barristers. We work on a fixed fee basis and have special introductory fee rates for pupils.
WE ADVISE ON:
- Personal tax planning
- VAT and minimising overall VAT liabilities
- Using new systems to help Barristers to simplify and automate their bookkeeping
- Planning personal cash flow
- Efficient and timely preparation of annual accounts and tax returns to allow clients to plan for future tax liabilities
We monitor the ever changing legal landscape so as to be able to give the most proactive advice to our legal sector clients.
We are proud sponsors of the Young Barristers’ Committee Young Bar Hub, supporting barristers and pupils in the early years of practice.
We have a well-established Care Sector team that is dedicated to looking after retirement, residential and nursing care homes and associated businesses across the country.
We can assist our clients with every aspect of buying, running and eventually selling their business, identifying funding opportunities to allow your business to continue to develop through the legislative changes within the care sector.
We also offer a range of services specifically tailored to your needs, including:-
Humphrey & Co understand the pressures charities and their trustees face. We work with our clients to help guide you through the array of legislation and guidance set out by the Charity Commission.
We work with a wide range of charities assisting with accounts preparation as appropriate, statutory returns, independent examination or audit and assurance.
The dental sector is an area in which we have a wealth of experience. Our team act for practices, associates, specialists, hygienists and therapists.
We are members of The National Association of Specialist Dental Accountants and Lawyers (NASDAL). We prepare their annual national financial statistics for practices and associates. As a NASDAL accountant we can advise on a range of issues related to the dental industry and understand the constraints within which you work.
The dental team are respected authors for dental media and presenters of seminars for dentists. We provide annual seminars around the country to Foundation Dental Practitioners which include guidance on financial aspects that need to be considered when becoming an Associate Dentist.
We also provide regular talks to dental professionals on practice ownership including updates on the latest budget and tax changes as well as the different structures used to buy and eventually sell a dental practice.
From becoming an Associate Dentist to owning a practice we can advise on:-
Pay As You Earn (PAYE), National Insurance Contributions (NIC) and Tax Codes
- NHS superannuation scheme and Insurances
- Purchasing a practice – including appraising and financing
- Sale of practices
- NHS contract tendering
- Incorporation and benchmarking reports
- Payroll services and Auto Enrolment
- HMRC Tax Investigations
- Xero Cloud Accounting
Doctors & Consultants
We are well-established medical specialists with a team dedicated to providing support to hospital doctors, GPs and Consultants with NHS and private practice incomes.
We regularly run seminars regarding tax affairs and how to avoid common mistakes that lead to enquiries from HMRC.
Our team is highly regarded in the medical industry and will help you with practical financial advice including:-
- General annual accounting & tax compliance
- Complex tax advice/planning
- Both employed & self-employed doctors
- Incorporation and related matters regarding private practice
- Payroll services and Auto Enrolment
- Assisting with the setup of companies and LLPs
- Tax refund claims for the employed
- Other ad hoc and tax advice where applicable
- Xero Cloud Accounting
Please follow us on Twitter @doctors_humph
Lloyd’s, Insurance & IFAs
Humphrey & Co is one of the few firms that is a recognised Lloyd’s Accountant.
Our services for the Lloyd’s market include:
- Audits and valuations
- Tax and cash flow planning for Lloyd’s Names, Namecos, SLPs and LLPs
The Insurance team’s expertise in the Insurance Broker and IFA sectors include the following services:
- Regulatory audits
- Internal controls and systems for compliance
- Personal and business tax planning
- Payroll and company secretarial services
Property Management Services
At Humphrey & Co we have a team of specialists dedicated to freehold and leasehold management accounting.
Our expertise and understanding of the residential property management industry, coupled with our in-depth knowledge of the relevant accounting, compliance and tax issues enables us to provide a comprehensive service to managing agents and landlords, including freehold management and right to manage companies.
Our services include:
- Preparation of Residential Service Charge accounts compliant with TECH 03/11, and the ARMA-Q disclosure requirements as appropriate
- Statutory accounts for Freehold Management and Right to Manage Companies.
- Tax planning and advice on income arising from the granting of lease extensions and other incidental incomes
- Corporate Tax Returns
- RICS compliance reviews and ISAE 3402 reviews
We can also provide Company Secretarial Support services to include:
- Annual Returns and company register maintenance
- Annual accounts filing with Companies House
- Preparation of share certificates
- Registered office facility
Trust & Estate Support Services
Probate & Estate Administration
Humphrey & Co have been assisting with the administration of estates for many years, acting either as the executors or helping lay executors
Following a major change in the law we are formally authorised as a licensed probate firm by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW). (Prior to this change only solicitors were able to carry out this work.) We can provide our clients with a complete estate administration service.
We work with you and for you
- Everything in relation to the probate process can be undertaken through one firm - with the exception of conveyancing work
- We charge for our services to executors based on the time spent administering the estate, our fees are highly competitive and we never make an additional charge on the basis of the value of your estate. Our Legal Services Fee Charges can be found here:
- Establish the assets and liabilities of an estate
- Prepare the forms for Probate and calculate inheritance tax where necessary
- Apply for Probate
- Prepare estate accounts either on an ongoing basis or on completion of the administration
- Deal with pre-death income tax and capital gains tax matters and correspond with HM Revenue & Customs as required
- Deal with income tax and capital gains tax matters arising in the administration period including the completion of trust and estate tax returns
- Be flexible – so when guiding lay executors through the probate process we can do as much, or as little, as the executors would like us to do
We have all of the necessary skills and experience for doing this. All the Trust & Estate Support Services team are members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
If you are nominated an Executor of an estate, or have recently been bereaved and require assistance on any of these aspects, then please take a look at our Probate FAQs below for further information or contact a member of our Trust & Estates Support Services Team.Probate - Frequently Asked Questions
As required by the ICAEW and as part of the firms license to undertake Probate Services, we are required to undertake diversity monitoring in the workplace on an annual basis. Our latest statistics can be found here.
Individuals, lawyers and other professionals use Humphrey & Co for advice and assistance in connection with the administration, taxation and accounting for trusts.
The services we offer are:
- Advice on the creation of trusts and the options available
- Advice to trustees and administrators on trust related matters
- Liaising with your investment managers
- Full administration of the trust
- Acting as a trustee in suitable cases
- Ensuring compliance with current law and practice
- Preparing trust accounts whether on an annual or other agreed basis
- Dealing with all tax related matters including the completion of the annual trust & estate tax return, completion of periodic inheritance tax returns and calculation of liabilities
- Preparing tax deduction certificates for beneficiaries
- Conducting all correspondence with HM Revenue & Customs
Wills & Lasting Powers of Attorney
Our Trust and Estate Support Services team can provide advice and attend to the preparation of Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney.
We recommend, irrespective of age, that all our clients have a Will and our experienced will-writing team, who follow the STEP Will Writing Code, can assist with this. A properly drafted Will enables you to:
- decide who will inherit your estate, on what terms, who will be your executors and, if you have minor children, who will be their guardians
- determine the extent of any potential inheritance tax liability
Lasting Powers of Attorney
Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs) are legal documents that allow you to delegate the management of your affairs to people you trust in the event that, for whatever reason, you become unable to manage them yourself, either on a temporary or permanent basis.
There are two types:
- Property and Finance LPAs enable Attorney(s) to make property and financial decisions on behalf of the donor e.g. operating a bank account, selling property
- Health and Welfare LPAs enable Attorney(s) to make health and personal welfare decisions on behalf of the donor e.g. day to day care, medical treatment
US Federal Tax
Humphrey & Co are able to provide a US Federal Tax Return compliance service for US citizens or Green Card holders living in the UK who have US filing obligations.
Kevin Hancock, Tax Partner, is an Enrolled Agent, authorised to represent taxpayers before the US Internal Revenue Service. Kevin is also a member of the US National Association of Tax Professionals.
The following services are available:
- Completion and filing of 1040 and 1040NR Returns (and associated statements)
- Completion and filing of Foreign Bank Account Reporting (“FBAR”) declarations
- Assisting with the ‘Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedure’ for delinquent returns
- Assisting with Expatriation reporting requirements
- Consultancy regarding the provisions of the UK / USA Double Tax Treaty
- Consultancy regarding US residency position and US filing obligations
- FATCA reporting advice
More than just Accountants
Our clients benefit from our depth of experience and expertise with an established reputation in many fields
We are based in Eastbourne and in Brighton & Hove. However, a client’s location is never a problem as we travel to meet clients at their homes or businesses.Meet our Team